Friday, March 9, 2012

Loving My Job

It is weeks like this week that remind me why I love teaching.  I've been teaching for two years now and I am definitely learning more each semester, which is probably why this week has been so great.  This is the fifth semester teaching Algebra 1.  I really am starting to feel like a pro at the subject.  I taught a big topic this week: graphing and writing linear equations.  For anyone that knows anything about the current NC Education System, you know Algebra 1 is the only state tested math exam.  How students perform in Algebra 1 gives the state critical data about our school.  No pressure, right?  Anyway, back to linear equations.  Don't worry, I'm not going to bore you with an algebra lesson.  I tweaked the way I taught the unit this semester and rearranged some stuff and even with a full moon this week, my kids were on their A game.  They were taking notes, doing problems, correctly doing their homework.  They knew their stuff, and let me tell you, I am one PROUD momma.  My students aggravate the puddin' out of my 90% of the time, but I love them.  They bring so much joy to my life.  They trust me to help them, they bring me food, we have inside jokes, we laugh together, and I hope they know that I care for them. 

Pi Day couldn't come at a better time.  What? You don't know what Pi Day is.  Pi Day is officially March 14 (3.14, get it?).  My kids are expecting their Linear Equations Unit Test, but since they've been rocking in class lately, we are going to pause to celebrate.  I'm thinking of decorating my classroom, doing some baking, bringing some food, and just celebrating.  How often do you get to celebrate in Math?  Any math teachers out there, be sure to leave a comment with some Pi Day activities!

No comments:

Post a Comment