Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Rubber Ducky, You're the One!

We purchased our home in February of 2010, a week after we got engaged.  We started working on it right away.  We painted the kitchen, living room, master bedroom and bathroom.  We decided to leave some things to work on as time went on.  Last summer, Mom rocked things again and came and helped me paint all of our kitchen cabinets.  It was a job and a half, but it looked so great when we finished.  I also chose a new paint color for the living room: a light gray.  However, what we never did was the dogs room or the guest bathroom.  As you saw, the dog's room was turned into the nursery and looks awesome!

When registering for bathroom items, Alex of course loved anything with ducks, so I decided that I would do a rubber ducky theme for the bathroom (word of advice: don't tell people you are doing a rubber ducky theme for your bathroom, you'll end up with 4976 rubber duckies in all shapes and sizes...seriously).  I picked out a real pretty blue color that looked like water and the search began for a shower curtain.  I couldn't quite find anything I liked so I kept dragging my feet.  I wasn't in a huge hurry; the bathroom was 100% usable, just not pretty at all.  Mom promised she would come back and help get it ready, but I, again, wasn't worried at all, plus I was more than thankful for all the work Mom and Dad had already done.

Fast forward to me coming home from work Monday afternoon after Spring Break.  First thing I noticed was the dresser we were going to use was painted and put back together (yes, the dresser I still don't have a picture of, although there is a pic on facebook).  I thought that was the surprise.  I knew Alex couldn't have done it, he had been at work all day.  Out pops my friend Lauren recording my reaction (I have asked for that to remain between just us).  I was so impressed.  Again, I thought that was the surprise, not quite.

I walked in and saw the bathroom, I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.





Bobble head ducky soap dispenser = awesome.



When I say the room was in rough shape before the transformation, it really is an understatement.  Old faucet, sheet rock putty on the walls, half hanging light fixture, ugly switches.  It was bad.  I found out Lauren's dad came and painted the dresser and watched Sarah Kate while Lauren TRANSFORMED my bathroom.  I could only cry.  My parents, husband, in-laws, everyone was in on it.  I'm not an easy target to surprise and Lauren outdid herself.  Jim helped replace the faucet, light fixture, and switches.

We received a ton of great gifts from friends and family, but this was probably by far the best (in addition to all the work my parents helped us do).  I can't describe the weight that was lifted off my shoulders that I did not have to do anything to get the bathroom ready.  I also cannot express my gratitude to Lauren, Jim, and her dad Tim.  Thank you so much for everything you did, have done, will do for Alex, myself, and Kiff.  I know Kiff can't wait to meet his Aunt Lauren and Sarah Kate.  Thank you for always being there for me, especially when I'm being ridiculous and hormonal!

No comments:

Post a Comment