Monday, June 3rd I was just as miserable as I had been my entire pregnancy. I was highly disappointed that the due date I had in my mind (May 30th) had come and gone. I was even more disappointed that the next day we were heading to our 40 week appointment (although I had already made up my mind I was not leaving that appointment without being admitted or being given an induction date).
Alex and I were laying on the couch watching the series finally for Secret Life of the American Teenager. I was having contractions, but that was nothing new, so I decided to take a bath (our water billed doubled the last two months of my pregnancy for the amount of baths that I took) since that would typically subside my contractions and allow me to rest and get some sleep. I could not get comfortable in the bath tub so I got out and decided to lay down in bed. Laying down lasted all of two seconds and Alex came into the bedroom because he heard me stirring. I was standing and leaning over the bed and my water broke (this was about 9:30). There was absolutely no doubt that it was my water since it was a gush. I rushed to the bathroom and Alex started rushing to put his stuff in the hospital bag. As soon as my water broke, contractions started strong. There was no long hours of laboring before my contractions were unbearable, they were pretty much unbearable immediately after my water broke. Alex's exact words: "get in the truck, I'm not delivering a baby at the house". I promptly followed instructions, only stopping to get a trash bag and towel so I wouldn't ruin the seats.
As Alex sped down I-85 to the hospital, I called my dad to let him know my water broke and to tell mom to head our way. We then called Alex's parents and texted a couple of close friends. We arrived at the hospital, quickly got checked in and was in a room in no time. I was extremely relieved to learn that the doctor on call was Dr. Palmer, who happened to be our favorite. They hooked me up to monitors and asked how far apart my contractions were. I told them I was in too much pain to time them and Alex said about 3 minutes (which is what the monitors said). They took my blood to send off and hooked up an IV and gave me stadol to ease the pain (I do NOT recommend this, I was so loopy, I barely remember anything from my delivery). I was 4 cm dilated. 45 minutes later, I told Alex I felt like I needed to push and to get a nurse. Apparently, they looked at him like he was crazy when he told them that, but they came to check me again anyway. Next thing I know, they are getting the warmer set up as well as everything else for delivery; urgently paging the doctor and anesthesiologist. Then I hear my nurse say "I've caught one once before", so I of course begin to question if I'm about to have a baby and how far was I. In 45 minutes, I had dilated to 9 cm and 10 was right around the corner.
I also overheard the anesthesiologist's name was Mark, so every time the door opened I was yelling for Mark. Mark finally showed up and I found out it was too late for an epi, so my only option was a spinal block that only lasts 45 min - an hour and half. He was getting everything ready, they got me on the edge of the bed hunched over and a contraction hit that threw me back on the bed. Mark calmly told me I was progressing to fast and if I wanted drugs, he only had one more shot to set the block. You bet that got my butt in gear to be still and sit through the pain. I didn't even feel him place any of the three (large) needles Alex described, and the best news is that it worked. Almost instantly my feet were numb. Dr. Palmer arrived soon after (or maybe before). Again, the stadol made me extremely loopy.
Right after the block it was time to push. If I do it again, I'm not sure if I will get any drugs. It was so difficult to tell where I was pushing since I was numb from the waist down. I was falling asleep between contractions due to the stadol. I lost vision in my left eye and lost my peripheral vision in my right eye. After 45 minutes of pushing, the doctor attempted to use the vacuum, which didn't work. Finally, he had to do an episiotomy and used forceps to help Aiden Kiff Greer arrive at 12:26 am on June 4th. He was a wonderful 8 pounds 8 ounces, 20.5 inches long. He was such a pretty baby.
All in all my L&D was not bad at all. Pretty much 3 hours from start to finish. I know most were shocked since my dad posted I was on the way to the hospital at 9:30 and then we posted Kiff arrived at 12:26. Next time (if there is a next time), I think we'll just camp out at the hospital the last week, since they say your subsequent pregnancy delivery times get shorter.
Thanks for all the encouraging words and support. We are so extremely grateful for a relatively quick and easy delivery and for our awesome nurse staff at Thomasville. We love sharing our baby with friends and family and are accepting visitors! Pictures to come soon (or just check out facebook).
Sunday Secrets
6 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment